Fauvism and Symbolism Combined in "Vespers" Cathedral Stained Glass Window Painting

"Vespers" by K.M. 18x24" on paper
on Etsy here

"Vespers", above, is one of my most recent paintings. I've incorporated very bright colors reminiscent of the short lived Fauvism art era where color meant more than anything else and subjects were abstract. I love art that comes from the soul or takes us to our souls. In this case, using a cathedral window with evening light conditions sets the mood for serious reflection while the bright colors portray joy and bliss. Iridescent paints spread thinly here and there add a mysterious tone. I did not use a paintbrush at all for this piece.

An artist continues to evolve and try new things. I do that to a fault, perhaps.

Right now, my style is trending more towards:

  • fauvism
  • abstract impressionism
  • folk art

And I am currently interested in doing more:

  • botanicals
  • symbolism
  • landscapes

My interest in 20th Midcentury style painting is waning somewhat and the period of art that I am now most fond of is that done earlier in the 20th Century from about 1900 to 1920.