24 Circles Series Experiment

painting by wabi sabi kate

 
The pattern of 24 circles intrigues me and resonates with me. I did some research and discovered that the number 24 is special. For one thing, there are 24 hours in each day. There are 24 letters in the Greek alphabet. And, the great Indian mathematician, Ramanujan, frequently used the number "24", according to today's leading physicist spokesperson and thinker, Michio Kaku.

So I have decided to do my first ever series using 24 circles as my theme. This will allow me to explore patterns, use varying materials and supplies, and be creative with the idea. Already, I've done many versions and in this post I'll show you three of them.

The top piece is Chinese sumi ink on paper size 24x36 inches. I used many measurement lines as guides which I later erased. I debated whether or not to erase them because I love it when artists leave their work to show. I carefully hand painted the ink in my graphite circle guides. It is black and white minimalism that is bold and contrasting. It would be powerful matted and framed in a minimalist modern decor.

This next artwork painting is size 24x36 inches on paper. It uses acrylic paints and graphite. The entire piece is done without a brush, using a combination of credit cards and pallet knives. The outlines of the circles are done in varnished graphite. I was very pleased with the final piece and think it would be wonderful matted and framed in a modern room.

painting by wabi sabi kate

Finally, this third piece is mixed media on an 11x14 inch wood cradle. I used an art paper with colored circles to begin and later covered them up with paint, the result being an irregular pattern including a layer of paint dribbles that is also mostly covered up. This has a depth of intrigue in its final effect.

by wabi sabi kate


Altogether I've done about fifteen of these so far and I have a ton of ideas for more to come. I continue to sell on Etsy and Daily Painted Works and am considering using Big Cartel, too.