Participating in Boulder's 2018 Open Studios

This year I am participating in Boulder's Open Studios for the first time. It is a fun event for artists because of the pre-party at the Museum of Boulder which was attended by more than 800 people and then a post-party for the artists which includes an optional art exchange of $100 valued pieces. An orientation ahead of time also helped us get to know each other.

Boulder, for several years in a row, has been rated the number one city in the U.S. for per capita artists. This year, 137 artists are participating in Open Studios. Because of high real estate prices here, it is a tough scene in which to get exposure as an emerging artist.


My new direction is combining my years of Sumi-E style painting with my interest in writing and philosophy. I've collected quotes all of my life and been a writer, too. It is fun for me to see how certain quotes that I've chosen resonate with certain people.


As an artist who has sold on Etsy for two years, I've been producing many works that fall into the Midcentury Abstract Expressionist category. I like minimalism and monochromatic works as well as fauvism and I incorporate a lot of graphite into my acrylic works which are mostly on paper. Though I have some work on canvas, it would be difficult to produce my style on any surface other than paper.

For my own home, which was built in 1966, I am working on a 66" by 48" painting in the style of Franz Kline to put above our fireplace.


The people who are coming to my Open Studios because they saw my piece at the Museum of Boulder and liked it, are not really expecting to see a large body of Midcentury style abstract work, too. This is unfortunate, but I am not allowed to have two pieces in that show.


I'm participating in all three weekends of Open Studios this year and have one weekend left to go. It motivated me to clean out my art room and I've met many interesting people and some friends who I haven't seen for a long time have dropped by. Overall, it has been "worth it" so I hope it can be an annual event for me.